The Cheapest ROOM

I'm passionate about books and reading...

What I Thought Was True

What I Thought Was True - Huntley Fitzpatrick What-the-_? My brain hurts. Somebody please explain me what this book was about.

I'm still speachless and can't believe the same author wrote this book as My Life Next Door, which I adored and it was one of my favorite contemporary reads last year!
Needless to say, I went into reading What I Thought Was True with high expectations. I have to say this book is the most confusing book I've ever read. Not confusing because so many things happened I couldn't keep up, NO, NO! Confusing, because I don't think anything happened at all through the whole book!

At 20% when I couldn't understand what's going on, I was still hopeful.

At 50% I became angry and frustrated.

When at about 70% we get a clue what all the fuss is about, I wanted to throw my Kindle at the wall, because it felt like up until that point I read empty words.

NO plot
NO story building
NO .. anything!

It was like someone RANDOMLY threw together some lines and said, let's call it a book.

Some of the conversations were so absurd I had to read them, like, five times. Like the charactes rather than anwering each other's questions said their inner dialogue completely unrelated to the topic.
Like:
"How are you?"
"Beavers are the second-largest rodent in the world."
"Boiling is the most simple way of preparing lobster."
"Yeah"
"Okay"
(I made this up for example sake, it not from the book!"

We get tiny glimpses into "teen drama", some family related things and friendship, but they were far from deep and interesting.

And don't get me started about the characters. It was frustrating not to understand what was going on with them. It felt like me, the reader, was left out on the secret.

I couldn't wait to finish this book, and not because it was so interesting. I was so BORED by the whole story I kept looking for excuses to do something else instead of reading. I considered DNF after every chapter.

I still think Huntley Fitzpatrick's writing is amazing! This book just wasn't for me it seems.
But what makes me even more angry: It had so much potential for a great light, summer story.

* 1 sad stars *