The Cheapest ROOM

I'm passionate about books and reading...

Black Lies

Black Lies - Alessandra Torre I'm not really sure how to review this book to do it justice! It was far from what I expected and that's exactly why it was so amazing!

“True love makes a person reckless, makes them take risks and make sacrifices. True love tests the boundaries of our person, makes us yearn to be better and fight for the ground we stand on. I will fight for this love. Lie for it. Steal for it. It’s worthy of that.”

Some random facts about me:

* I hate cheating and I avoid books containing cheating as much as I can.
* I'm a sucker for books with a lot of fangirling reviews and they make me want to read it anyway. *shrugs*

I went into reading Black Lies being sure what will happen. I read the blurb: two men, one cheating girl, bla-bla-bla. I did not expect any surprises. I had been sure I would dislike the heroine but I went into reading the story anyway. I was curious.

Well, let me tell you, this book was the perfect example where my expectations kicked me in the butt and proved me wrong!
I did not realize this ...up until the last third of the book.

The book started out just how I thought it would. I couldn't sympatize with the heroine and her actions and - this I didn't expect - I did not like either of the guys. So I was already planning how I would write this review and how I would feel guilty for my low rating.

Around 20-25% I thought I had even figured out the twist in the story. (I was wrong!) So at that point I really thought nothing could surprise me anymore. (Wrong again!)

A quote from more than halfway through the book stuck with me. When the heroine, Layana says:
"And once you find out [why she cheated], you will understand. You would have done the same thing."

I was like:

And a few chapters later the book laughed in my face.

I should have taken seriously this from the blurb:
"You have no idea what my love entails.
If you think you’ve heard this story before, trust me – you haven’t."

To say that I was flabbergasted is an understatement!
MY JAW HIT THE FLOOR! Everything I believed to be true shattered with a loud crash!
I was like:

It was a twist I never would have expected. I WANTED TO START THE WHOLE BOOK OVER AGAIN FROM THE BEGINNING! I was shocked. And I FELL IN LOVE.

I fell in love with Brant, I fell in love with Lee and I respected the hell out of Layana and her strength! (*whispers* I even cried.)

I'm not gonna say more, you have to read the book to understand it. Believe me, it's worth it! This story is truly unique.

I can't wait to read the author's other works.

If not for the slow and for me less interesting first half of the story, I would give this book five stars.

**** 4 stars ****