The Cheapest ROOM

I'm passionate about books and reading...

Love, in English

Love, in English - Karina Halle Heartbreaking. Heartwarming. PERFECT.

I'm a mess. I'm functioning (or trying to) on only three hours of sleep, I couldn't eat, I couldn't rest, because this book completely claimed my whole being and I kept turning the pages until I finished it.

I can't even remember the time I've cried so much while reading a book. Not because it was so tragic, not because it was drama-filled, but because it FELT SO REAL. It made me vulnerable, it made me raw and I haven't recovered since.
I LOVED EVERY LINE!

“You can fall in love in a second,” she said with a snap of her fingers. “The heart has no regard for time.”

I've read books from this author before, but to be honest, I've not felt connected to those characters. So I was a bit reluctant to pick up this book, up until I saw the synopsis and that it's set in Spain.
The book turned out to be amazing and though it's a quite long book, I just wished it was longer. I couldn't get enough of the characters.

(Synopsis from Goodreads)

He’s thirty-eight. I’m twenty-three.

He speaks Spanish. I speak English.

He lives in Spain. I live in Canada.

He dresses in thousand-dollar suits. I’m covered in tattoos.

He’s married and has a five-year old daughter. I’m single and can’t commit to anyone or anything.

Mateo *sigh* Casalles

I can't even write his name without melting into a puddle. Spanish passion, friendly demeanor and a shy personality mixed in one. Add his business persona to the mix and you get a Latino charmer you will fall in love with immediately.

“He slowly turned around. “What is love? In English.”
I raised my brows. “Love, in English, is love?”
“What is it in Spanish?”
I was so enthralled by his hypnotic eyes, I could barely remember. “Amore?”
He shook his head ever so slightly. “No. Love in Spanish is you.”

Vera Miles
Tattood, astronomy major, a little bit of a commitment-phobic, she is strong and before her trip to Spain she had never expected to fall in love. She and Mateo couldn't be more different, yet they had a strong chemistry from the beginning.

“Love, our love, had been a shooting star, burning in the darkness, unseen until it got too close, too bright and too quick to capture. It burned out, lost to the deep cold and darkness, to the brutality of space, the infinity above us and in the new emptiness inside of me.”

The book has so many layers and they are built perfectly together. The story is not rushed, we get to know properly all the characters and we get to fall in love with them.

I loved the different settings, from the "isolated" place called Las Palabras, where the language program takes place, to Vancouver and Madrid, they all evoked different emotions from my heart. I laughed, I swooned, I fell in love and I cried (a lot).

It was all so beautiful and heartbreaking and I just couldn't help but rooting for Mateo and Vera to end up together.

“But I’m starting to think that most villains aren’t evil—they are just misunderstood. Or victims of that most manipulative force: love.”

So, so beautiful!