The Cheapest ROOM

I'm passionate about books and reading...

Maybe Someday

Maybe Someday - Colleen Hoover It's never been so hard for me to write a review than for this book.

Let me start with this: I'm pretty sure Colleen Hoover is a literary genius, hands down she is one of the best New Adult authors out there. Her books are never boring and you keep turning the pages without realizing it's almost over.
Maybe Someday is no exception.

This said, you could ask, why the 3-star rating. Well, I'll try to explain it, but it's really hard. I wish I could rate just about the first half of the book, because then I would give it 5 stars. But sadly, as much as I hate to say this, I haven't enjoyed the second half as much as the first (almost at all).

Also be warned, I doubt I can keep this review spoiler-free, but I'll try to hide the spoilers as much as possible.

First half of the book:

For me a book is never about the printed pages in black and white. I'm not just reading a book. I'm seeing all the characters, hear their voices and experience all that's happening.

Maybe Someday was even more than that. I've never read a book before where I couldn't hear the characters. The only things I've heard while reading Maybe Someday were two heartbeats: mine and the book's. It felt like I wasn't even reading the written words, I was just holding the book and it was talking to me.
Like a heartbeat.

The story starts out with Sydney as she discovers her two-year-together boyfriend has been cheating on her with her best friend and roommate, Tori. Everything had been easy before. She is in college studying music, she had a job and a boyfriend.

Every night the sound of the guitar can be heard over at the apartment's balcony across from Sydney's. She is fascinated with every note, but even more with the boy, who seems to feel the music.

Ridge Lawson has a serious writing block. He's been writing music and lyrics for his band for a long time, so he is trying desperately to find his muse to get over it. He plays his songs on his balcony over and over every day, and when he notices how a mysterious girl next door seems to know them by heart and is singing along the not-yet-existing lyrics, he knows he needs her.

After her boyfriend's betrayal, Sydney has no place to go. She finds herself in a situation where she lost almost everything at once, even her job. When Ridge makes a proposal that's hard to refuse, Sydney has to agree and soon after they start to write music together.

I LOVED how Sydney and Ridge worked together. Those moments were so intimate, they bought tears to my eyes.

A growing attraction develops between them, which they have to fight, especially Ridge, who has a girlfriend. There were so many beautiful and emotional moments in this part of the book, it was easy to push this fact to the back of my mind. I wanted them to be together, I wanted to see their interactions, and I wanted to ignore the elephant in the room forever, yet somewhere deep I've always known their moments are so fragile they could shatter any second. And I was right.

The bubble burst. My heart broke in two.

Comes Maggie, Ridge's girlfriend, and she shakes up my feelings to no end. I had the urge to rewrite the lines and make her mean and heartless! I wanted to make her a jealous harpy so I could hate her. I wanted to yell at Ridge not to love her, but how could I? I liked her, too! Maggie is nice and thoughtful and I liked her even more than Sydney.

Yet it hurt so much. It hurt watching Ridge loving her, too. Hurt their every kiss, their every gentle moment.

Then I became ANGRY. I was so furious at Ridge I wanted to slap him upside his head. I wanted to grab his guitar and hurl it at him. In the book he was always described as a person who tells everything to his girlfriend, who could never cheat on her and who fights extremely hard his attraction for Sydney so it doesn't happen. A person who is trustworthy. But is he really?

I wanted so hard to believe he is, but I couldn't lie to myself. Ridge cheated emotionally on Maggie even if he claimed he loved her.

I kept thinking about what Johnny Depp once said: “If you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second.”

We can sugarcoat it, but the truth is, Ridge betrayed both girls and he didn't deserve any of them.

Even at the end, when he wanted to be with Sydney, it wasn't his decision. It felt like he would rush back to Maggie any given moment. And he kept saying things like, "Part of me misses you so much it hurts, while part of me wishes I never ever met you to begin with."

I didn't understand how Sydney could trust him after everything!

The other thing I hated: the CRYING! Did you notice Sydney was crying on every other page of the book? It was nerve wracking!

All in all, it wasn't a bad book, but I wish there was a different second half.

*** 3 stars ***

PS: I LOVED the epilogue! I enjoyed it more than the second half of the book! (And I want to read Maggie's story so much!)

PSS: The soundtrack for the book was a nice touch! All the songs are brilliant! Griffin Petterson did an amazing job!