The Cheapest ROOM

I'm passionate about books and reading...

Isla and the Happily Ever After

Isla and the Happily Ever After - Stephanie Perkins So... Isla and the Happily Ever After *sigh*

How do I review a book where some parts were perfect but other parts made me want to throw away the book in frustration?

The good:
1. The writing! It was so beautiful I wanted to weep! Stephanie Perkins has a great talent for writing romantic stories. Her books always make me feel like I'm being part of the book and I'm living the scenes along with the characters.

2. The Setting: Paris! Enough said!

3. There were a lot of scenes that were so beautiful that they made me grin silly (ever tear up a few times).

“Josh grins. "Just give me your hand."
"W-what?"
"Your hand," he repeats. "Give it to me."
I extend my shaking right hand. And-in a moment that is a hundred dreams come true-Joshua Wasserstein laces his fingers through mine. A staggering shock of energy shoots straight into my veins. Straight into my heart.
"There," he says. "I've been waiting a long time to do that."
Not nearly as long as I've been waiting.”

4. The Anna&Étienne and Lola&Cricket moments!!! I missed them like crazy (especially Étienne). Seeing them again, it was the best part of the book for me.

5. Isla and the Happily Ever After has one of the best opening scenes I've ever read in YA novels.

“It’s midnight, it’s sweltering, and I might be high on Vicodin, but that guy - that guy right over there - that’s him.
The him.”

“I catch a glimpse of his abdomen. Yummy. "Yummy tummy."
He startles. "What?"
"Hmm?”

The bad:
1. The insta-relationship between Isla and Josh.

The whole romance was so rushed that I couldn't really feel honest emotions from either of them. I did not feel Isla's crush changing into true love and I didn't understand why exactly Josh loved Isla. It was like they didn't even know each other.

2. Drama that wasn't even drama.

This was the most frustrating part! As I said the whole relationship between the main characters happened way too quickly. Because of this, after they became a couple, the story lost focus for me and I felt confused where the whole plot was going from there.

The "drama" was eye-rollingly aggravating! It was unnecessary and couldn't decide which one of the two was stupider, Isla or Josh. They could have sold everything with a conversation, but I guess it would have been too easy. Maybe this wouldn't have bothered me a year ago, but reading more and more books I am more and more picky. *shugs*

Another perfect moment in the book beside the beginning was the final two chapters! Especially on Josh's part. Oh, and I loved that he was an artist!

*** 3 ( I wish I could give it more!) stars ***